Thursday, June 23, 2011

Final Cut Pro X FCPX

I don't normally do this, but I thought that it was worth mentioning for all my editor friends.

As you know, I am a big proponent of Apple products. I exclusively use Final Cut Pro for editing, with a splash of Adobe's Photoshop and After Effects thrown in. I have been very happy with them, despite the high learning curve and the lack of an integrated workflow between the two software packages. We have integrated all Apple products into our workflow and as a studio we work with them all very well.

Now, Apple has decided to take the proverbial two steps backward with yesterdays release of Final Cut Pro X, a complete rewrite Final Cut Pro . Despite the lower price point and its 64-bit architecture, which we all like, the product has been "dumbed down" to appeal to a much broader audience and is missing several key features that professional editors such as myself NEED and have been accustomed to.

I am not going to rehash what everyone else has been saying (link to a great blog posting will appear below), but I will say, Apple, if you are listening, you missed the mark with this one and have seriously damaged your reputation amongst people like myself. I have been a loyal Apple supporter since 1991, but if I can't do my job anymore because of where you went with FCPX, then I will be forced to migrate my studio over to a windows platform and use Adobe's Creative Suite. I cannot go backwards with my editing, and by using FCPX, I will be doing just that.

Like one guy said, we will now see "the best birthday party videos ever" since you created a product for the amateur. You ignored your true customer and damaged your reputation and image amongst us.

Can anyone say Lemon.

Chris.

Link to great blog review

5 comments:

McKenna Video said...

One of the biggest complaints is the inability to work with projects created in previous versions of FCP. Very disappointing. :-(

McKenna Video said...

Not being able to work with layered photoshop files is another HUGE problem.

McKenna Video said...

http://youtu.be/sRzLP0FJ82I

McKenna Video said...

Do I really need to keep adding to the list? Ok, how about no "multi-cam" editing capability!

McKenna Video said...

Or how about the ability to "print to tape." Come on, Apple, we work in film and video for crying out loud.