Wednesday, June 22, 2011

16mm Film Transfer to DVD

I have not taken to bash the competition--that is something that I just don't do. I let others, primarily my customers, do it for me.

Case in point, I received an email today from a former client regarding a 16mm film to DVD transfer that they were currently working on. Here is what it said:


"Hi Chris, 

You transferred a bunch of 8mm film for us a couple years ago, and now we are hoping you might be able to do a couple of 16mm reels. One is a 9" reel and I believe the other is an 11" reel.
I sent both reels to (name withheld but you can probably guess who it is), but the company that transfers film for them cropped the images, making it so we cannot see the subtitles or the credits in full. It is essential that we see the subtitles as part of the film is narrated in Chehalis (the films are about the Nisqually and Chehalis tribes) and the translations are as important to me as the narration itself. The (name withheld) company has said I could send the film back, but if you are willing to take on the project, I would rather send the film to you, knowing what a great job you did with our 8mm film, and the fact that it is more likely you would check to see if the image is cropped properly before transferring it. 
Thanks for your help! I hope to hear from you soon." 

Ok, I don't know why they didn't bring me their film to begin with except that they didn't know that I also transfer 16mm film or that some of the competition may be a little cheaper-I will be honest about that. Nevertheless, there is a reason that they are cheaper.

First and foremost, the quality of their transfer is substandard. The picture quality cannot compare to the transfer that we offer and things like what this customer says happen. I hear it all the time. They just don't care about the quality of their transfers and it shows in the product they deliver. Now, if quality doesn't matter to you, then by all means go to the cheaper guys. You know that you get what you pay for. :-)

Secondly, that company also sells pizza and dog food. That company doesn't specialize in anything and can spread their operating costs over all the other items that they sell, including the aforementioned products and their car tires, garage tools, bakery items, frozen meat, breakfast cereal, books, dvd's--well, you get the point.

And third, they are intent on destroying the small business. Ok, I know, sour grapes, but I genuinely believe that this company doesn't care who they hurt and why and what the ramifications are, they just want to dominate and will use the resource of their big corporation to drive the small guys out of the market, whatever market that may be. They got their paws in so many different things, many of which they shouldn't. The only rationale explanation that I can come up with is because "they can."

Now that I am done with my complaint for the year, I urge you to consider having your film transferred by someone whose sole business is in the video and photo services industry. As you are aware, we treat every project as if it were our own and not just another order.

And for those that don't know what the quality difference looks like, enjoy the following video.

Blessings,

Chris.


No comments: